Dr. Barry Ryan, JD, PhD
President and CEOEducation:
- University of Oxford, Diploma in Global Business, Said School of Business
- University of California, Berkeley – School of Law, J.D.
- University of California Santa Barbara, PhD., European Intellectual History (With Distinction)
- University of London and Oxford University, Visiting Researcher
- Fuller Seminary, Pasadena, M.Div.
- Westmont College, Santa Barbara, BA (magna cum laude)
- Commissioner – WASC Senior College and University Commission
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, International Technological University
- President and CEO, United States University
- Chancellor, Argosy University
- President/CEO – West Coast University
- President, Southern California campuses, Argosy University
- Vice President for Academic Affairs, Regent University
- Professor of History
- Professor of Law
- Judicial Fellow for the Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the United States
- Chair, Foundation Board, Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC)
Dr. Barry Ryan is an academic leader whose career has been split evenly between service as a faculty member and as an administrator. The recipient of numerous teaching awards, he has taught over 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students in state university, law school, and private university contexts. While doing so, he was tenured in two different disciplines, served as a department chair, and a founding director of a center for teaching and learning.
In terms of administration, Dr. Ryan served as a dean, vice president, and president in institutions on both coasts. A former international student himself, he developed, led, and taught in a number of programs in Europe and Latin America.
Dr. Ryan has also had significant experience in the field of law. He was a litigation associate in a large San Francisco law firm, while continuing to teach law. Later, he took a brief hiatus from university life to serve as the Judicial Fellow at the Supreme Court of the United States, in the chambers of former Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist.
A first generation college student, he earned a BA in History (magna cum laude) from Westmont College in Santa Barbara, followed by an M.Div. from Fuller Seminary in Pasadena. While there, he was encouraged to pursue doctoral studies, which he did at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He earned his Ph.D. “with distinction.”
As part of his research program, he received support as a University of California Regents Scholar for his work at the University of London and Oxford. Later, he earned a J.D. from Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California, Berkeley.
Most recently, he earned a Dip.GB (Global Business) and focused on international education at the Said School of Business, Oxford University.
As part of a long commitment to excellence in health care, particularly in pediatrics, Dr. Ryan served as chair of the Foundation Board of CHOC Children’s Hospital of Orange County for six years, and is active in various other charitable causes. He is completing his fifth year of service as a Commissioner on the WASC Senior College and University Commission, and is a member of the Executive Committee.
Board of Trustees
“Leadership is not a position or a title, it is action and example.” - Unknown
The Board of Trustees of Sofia University is the corporate body established by the charter with complete responsibility for the government and welfare of the University and all the interests pertaining thereto including students, faculty, staff and alumni.
In the exercise of this responsibility, the Board is guided by both WASC and ABG and the following policies:
The Board of Trustees shall carry out certain responsibilities as a Board, without delegation. These responsibilities are, in short,:
- The selection of the President of the University
- The determination of the major goals of the University and the approval of the policies and procedures for implementation of such goals.
- The review and approval of the operating and capital budget of the University.
- Such other responsibilities as law, governmental directives, or custom require the Board to act upon.
The board consists of 9 voting members: 5 independents and 4 affiliates. In addition to the voting board members, there are non-voting members from staff, faculty and deans. There are multiple committees including the Financial Plan Committee, Audit Committee, Executive Committee and Academic & Student Service Committee.
The current trustees are listed below.
Eugene ZhangGENERAL PARTNER AND CO-FOUNDER OF TEEC ANGEL FUND
Fu LeiTECHNICAL LEAD, CISCO SYSTEMS
Shuye HuanHigher Education Counsel
Martin E. Dresner, Ph.D.PROFESSOR, ROBERT H. SMITH SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Ming Zhou, Ph.D.PROFESSOR, SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY
Ph.D. (2004) University of Maryland – College Park, MD
Sheng (Victor) DongREAL ESTATE MANAGEMENT
“Find potential value and get things done”
Robert HuTECH LEADER, APPLE