The Board of Trustees of Sofia University is the corporate body established by the charter with complete responsibility for the government and welfare of the University and all the interests pertaining thereto including students, faculty, staff and alumni.
In the exercise of this responsibility, the Board is guided by both WASC and ABG and the following policies:
The Board of Trustees shall carry out certain responsibilities as a Board, without delegation. These responsibilities are, in short,:
The board consists of 9 voting members: 5 independents and 4 affiliates. In addition to the voting board members, there are non-voting members from staff, faculty and deans. There are multiple committees including the Financial Plan Committee, Audit Committee, Executive Committee and Academic & Student Service Committee.
Chairman of the Board – Dr. Allen Huang, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., University of Alabama, Education
- MA, Eastern Kentucky University, Special Education
- BA, National Chenchi University
- 2007-2009: President, University of the West.
- 2003-2007: Provost and Senior VP for Academic Affairs, University of Northern Colorado (UNC).
- 1999-2003: Associate VP for Research and Dean of Graduate School, UNC.
- 1997-1999: Dean, College of Education, UNC.
- 1995-2007: Executive Director, Bresnahan and Halstead Endowment, UNC.
- 1978-2007: Assistant, Associate, Chair and Professor of Special Education Division, UNC.
- 1972-1975: Head Teacher, Madison County School of Hope.
- 1966-1970: Teacher, Taipei Kuting Jr. Highschool.
- 2009-present: President of Global Higher Education Consulting Group. In this position Dr. Huang supports innovative multicultural education ventures for clients, including Beifang Education Group, China.
- 2011-present: Advisor, Beifang Group, China.
Vice Chairman of the Board – Martin E. Dresner, Ph.D.
Professor, Robert H. Smith School Of Business
- Ph.D., University of British Columbia, Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration (Policy Analysis). Dissertation: The International Regulation of Air Transport: Changing Regimes and Price Effects
- MBA, York University
- B.Comm, University of Toronto
- 2003-present: Professor of Logistics, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
- 1995-2003: Associate Professor of Logistics, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
- 1998, August: Visiting Professor, University of Bremen, Germany.
- 1996, January-March: Visiting Scholar, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- 1989-1995: Assistant Professor of Logistics, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
- 1988-1989: Instructor of Transportation, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
- 1983-1988: Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- 1980-1983: Commercial Credit Officer, Toronto Dominion Bank, Canada.
- Research has focused on public policy and strategy issues concerning international and domestic transportation and logistics.
Secretary of the Board – Sheng (Victor) Dong
- MS in Computer Engineering, Syracuse University
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Huazhong University
What about Sofia University inspired you to become a board of trustee?
- Mr. Dong has run Happy Ocean, LLC as CEO and Founder since 2010 and grew the company from scratch to a successful Real Estate development company.
- Senior engineer for Sony Corporation for 18 years (until May 2015).
- Senior Real Estate Manager actively working in San Francisco and Bay Area. He recognized a business opportunity in real estate investment and formed a team of investors, contractors and realtors. Victor’s real estate renovations not only impress buyers with their beauties but also generate great revenue for investors. Victor’s motto is “Find potential value and get things done”.
- Holds several US patents.
- “The high spiritual value that benefits all levels of people on transpersonal psychology globally and a potential of becoming a great university in the heart of Silicon Valley.”
Dr. Allan Cahoon, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Syracuse University, Canada
- MSc, Syracuse University, International Administration, Canada
- BA, Syracuse University, History and Political Science, Canada
- Professor of Political Science, University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Professor at the Faculty of Management, University of Calgary, Canada.
- Assistant Dean and Chair on the Management of Organizations and Human Resources departments, President of the Faculty Association –during this time he specialized in executive development, organizational theory and building best-practice, high-performing teams. He also conducted a longitudinal research project on the experience of women and men in organizations, University of Calgary, Canada.
- 2002-2007: Vice President, Research and International and Interim President, University of Regina, Canada.
- 1996-1998:Director of International Business Division, University of Calgary, Canada.
- 1994-1996: Director of Research, Faculty of Management, University of Calgary, Canada.
- 2007-present: President and Vice Chancellor, Royal Roads University
Dr. Cahoon served on the campaign cabinet of the United Way Victoria, the Advisory Council of the Order of B.C., and as President of University Public Sector Employers’ Association. He is currently a member of the Research Universities Council of B.C. and Universities Canada.
- Dr. Cahoon was elected Vice-President (Canada) for the Inter-American Organization for Higher Education and was appointed President in 2014.
- Member of the Standing Advisory Committee on International Relations for Universities Canada.
- Dr. Cahoon has been a visiting professor at the National Autonomous University of Mexico, the Monash Mount Eliza Management School in Australia, the Yamaguchi University in Japan and the International Management Center in Budapest, Hungary.
- Dr. Cahoon has held teaching appointments at Simon Fraser University and Syracuse University, Canada.
- Adjunct Professor at the Tianjin Open, Hunan University and Nankai Universities in China.
- Emeritus Professor at the University of Calgary, Canada.
Tech Leader, Apple
- Master’s degree from China Science Academy
- Robert Hu has been an ASIC architect and tech leader at Apple Inc. for the last seven years. Under his leadership, his team defined and designed multiple iPhone/ iPad generations SOC ASIC.
- Robert came to Apple with more than 20 years of experience. Prior to Apple, Robert was a director of Cable/Satellite receiver SOC ASIC at Montage Technology Corp., which went IPO in 2013.
- Director of Chinese Terrastal Digital TV modulation standard at Legend Silicon Corp., where he led ASIC design.
- Sr. Manager at Sigma Designs, Inc.
- Founded ActiveDesigns Corp., which was acquired by Sigma Designs after 15 months of inception.
- Robert holds several patents.
Higher Education Counsel
- B.S, Law School, Peking University
- 30 years of higher education administration experience.
- 2010-2017: Director of China Affairs, Stanford Center for International Development.
- 1990-2009: Administrator for Medical School, School of Engineering, and Dean of Research at Stanford University.
- 1984-1989: Legal Counsel, Xinhua News Agency, China.
- Designed, marketed and executed over 30 special education programs for the EMBA classes at Peking University, Tsinghua University, China Europe International Business School, and the Mayors’ Courses for Guangdong Provincial Government, China.
Technical Lead, CISCO Systems
- Master’s Degree, Calgary University
- Bachelor’s Degree, Tsinghua University
- 2006-present: Technical Lead at Cisco Systems, working for different business groups. As a Technical Lead, she manages her group, co-ordinates between different departments and participates in important decision-making at company level.
- 20 years of experience in the IT industry, including CISCO, Juniper and Nortel.
- Active in educational circles in the Bay Area.
General Partner And Co-Founder Of TEEC Angel Fund
- M.S.C.E., Syracuse University
- M.S.E.E. and B.S.E.E., Tsinghua University
- General Partner and Co-founder of TEEC Angel Fund (TAF), one of the most successful super angel funds in the Bay Area. Over the past 7 years, TAF has had 10 successful exits, 3 unicorns and 7 centaurs, and is one of the top-performing early stage funds.
- Founding CEO of InnoSpring, a global cross-border technology startup incubator in Silicon Valley.
- Founder, President and CEO of JEDA Technologies, Inc. JEDA opened its Beijing R&D Center at Tsinghua Science Park in 2004.
- Served on multiple boards including the Board of Tsinghua Entrepreneur & Executive Club (TEEC), and the Board of Northern-America Chinese Semiconductor Association.
- 2007-2009: President of the TEEC Board.
Ming Zhou, Ph.D.
Professor, San Jose State University
- Ph.D. University of Maryland: Major-Supply Chain Management, Minor- Information Systems. Dissertation-The Effectiveness of Seller Credibility Systems in the Online Auction Market: Modeling the Seller’s Point of View.
- 2016-present: Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management, College of Business, San Jose State University.
- 2013-present: Assistant Director, Silicon Valley Center of Operations and Technology Management.
- 2012-2016: Associate Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management, College of Business, San Jose State University.
- 2006- 2012: Assistant Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management, College of Business, San Jose State University.
- 2016-present: CEO and Co-founder, Beyond Education Consulting (BEEC), CA.
- 2015-present: Managing Partner, Opes Acquisitions, CA.
- 2015-present: Venture Partner, SinoKing Capital, China.
- 2014-2015: Co-founder, LinkTime Corp, CA.
- 2009-2016: CEO and Founder, Meliora Consulting & Services Inc., CA.