Thank you for your interest in our academic programs at Sofia University!
Below is a list of documents that will be required from F-1 students in order to be considered as an applicant. The admissions team may require supplemental materials depending on your personal situation. If you are a transfer student, please scroll down to find your video with a step-by-step task manager to keep you organized throughout the admissions process.
Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call or make an appointment with an admissions counselor. Best of luck and we look forward to welcoming you into our academic community.
-The Admissions Team-
REQUIREMENTS: In addition to general Application Requirements, International Students will also need to provide the following items:
B. Visa (not required for abroad student)
C. I-94 (not required for abroad student)
D. Current I-20
E. 797A (if any)
F. Transcript Evaluation
Earn a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) or an average of “B” grades. If required, Sofia will convert your international GPA prior to application evaluation. Please note that some majors require higher GPAs than others.
International School Work and Degrees: All international applicants provide an evaluation from one of our approved transcript verification companies for any educational work. :
- WES (World Education Services)
- IERF (International Education Research Foundation)
- Academic & Credential Records Evaluation & Verification Service
- Global Credential Evaluators, Inc. (GCE).,
- Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute (ACEI).
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
- A2Z Evaluations, LLC .
Mark sheets/transcripts/degree certificates must be sent directly to WES or one of the other approved companies for evaluation. Sofia University must receive the academic record and the evaluation directly from WES or one of our approved companies.
A complete WES or another approved transcript evaluation is required.
G. English Proficiency
International students whose native language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency when applying to Sofia University. English competency tests such as TOEFL and IELTS are designed to provide the Office of Admissions as a guide to accurately and efficiently measure potential academic success in the relevant program.
The University’s language of instruction is English. Students must provide proof of English proficiency. The following methods are approved in order to satisfy this requirement:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination. Sofia University requires a score of 70 or better for the Internet-based test. A score of 525 or above is required on the paper-based exam.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination. Sofia University looks for a band score of 6.0 or better for the academic module.
- Test scores are valid for two years from the date when the tests are taken. If the test score is older than two years, the student will be required to resubmit a valid test score.
- Valid official scores must be sent to Sofia University Office of Admissions. If a TOEFL score is being sent, please note that the Sofia University institution code is 9770. If you are sending an IELTS score, please be sure to select Sofia University from the list of available institutions.
International students may be exempted from the English proficiency requirement under the following circumstances:
- Proof of English proficiency may be waived for a student who has previously earned a bachelor’s degree (or higher), taught entirely in English, from a regionally-accredited university in the United States.
- Proof of English proficiency may be waived for a student who has previously earned a bachelor’s degree (or higher) in an English-speaking country, which program was taught entirely in English, upon review and approval by the Office of Admissions of the relevant transcript/s. Additional review may be conducted by the academic authorities of the University as necessary.
- Credential evaluation may be required for transfer credits from any non-United States institution.
Federal regulations require incoming students to provide proof of financial support for one academic year prior to issuance of the paperwork for entry into the United States.
- Proof of financial support must be a bank record or some other certified document showing access to funds. This documentation may represent personal funds or family funds with a statement from the holder of the funds that the student may
use them for educational expenses, or funds from other sources (specify type and source).
- Refer to the current request for I-20 form for amounts required for each program.
- The registrar will send a properly executed document upon receipt of all required information and the non-refundable enrollment deposit.
- Please note that the deposit is charged to all students entering Sofia University and serves as confirmation of acceptance. It is not for the issuance of the entry document.
You are also welcome to view our degrees written in Chinese.
International Transfer Students
Check out the video below to see the steps for applying.