Student Disability Services
Sofia University is committed to making reasonable accommodations to provide equal educational opportunity and full participation for qualified persons with disabilities. It is the university’s policy that no qualified person be excluded from participating in any university program or activity, be declined the benefits of any university program or activity, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination with regard to any university program or activity. Sofia University and the Student Disability Services (SDS) Office reserve the right to change policies without prior notice. As changes or updates occur, SDS will make every effort to provide current policies and procedures to our students with disabilities.
The mission of Student Disability Services (SDS) is to support our adult student learners with a qualified disability in participating fully in campus life, its programs and activities. Sofia University values the qualities of mindfulness, discernment, compassion and appreciation of differences and embraces whole-person education that supports personal and community transformation. We encourage growth and individual achievement for our adult learners with a disability through the provision of academic accommodations, support services, self-advocacy, and disability and related educational programs for the community.
To accomplish its mission, Student Disability Services has established five goals:
- To deliver effective academically related services to students which support their scholarly pursuits.
- To advocate for the needs and interest of students, as well as to enrich and educate the campus community about our values and the services we offer.
- To promote and foster an accepting, accessible campus environment in all the programs and services Sofia University offers.
- To empower students with disabilities to advocate on their own behalf, and to enrich students with the skills to be productive citizens.
- To productively administer the resources available to Student Disability Services and provide quality customer service.
Student Disability Services (SDS) functions to determine qualified disability status and to assist students in obtaining reasonable accommodations and services. SDS strives to empower each student to become as independent as possible and is designed to encourage independence, backed by a comprehensive system of supports.