Are You Ready to Finish What You Started?
Welcome Prospective Students! We know that attaining a bachelor’s degree is critical in today’s world. By 2018, nearly two-thirds of all job openings will require a B.A. In fact, people who enter the job market with a degree earn $20,000 more than their peers without one.
Why Sofia University?
The Bachelor’s of Psychology Completion is a one-of-a-kind program – the only entirely online program in which you can complete a BA in Psychology that’s specifically designed for students interested in careers in psychotherapy, counseling, and other professions involving the practical application of psychological knowledge.
In addition to all of the courses that are essential to any Psychology major – courses like Social Psychology, Developmental Psychology, and Abnormal Psychology – our program offers the opportunity to take cutting-edge courses in specialized topics rarely taught at the undergraduate level, such as Transpersonal Psychology, Somatic Psychology, Neuropsychology, Autism, and Ecopsychology.
Because we know that versatility is increasingly vital to academic and professional success these days, the program emphasizes diversity, multiculturalism, and interdisciplinary thinking. Our wide-ranging Psychology curriculum is supplemented with interdisciplinary courses like Creative Expression, Social & Cultural Perspectives, and Community Leadership. – Nick Walker, MA. BAC Faculty
Are You A Match?
Not everyone is ready for a completely online Bachelor’s program. Check out our list of qualities and requirements to see if this is the right program for you.
Qualities of a Successful Online Student:
- I am self-motivated and a self-starter
- I can work completely online
- I am comfortable setting aside 20 hours a week to complete assignments
- I am a fluent reader and writer of English for a largely text based curriculum
Requirements for Juniors and Seniors:
- Completion of 60 semester or 90 quarter transferable units to a maximum of 135 quarter units (Use the link to check if your credits will transfer)
- Have a 2.0 or higher G.P.A.
- Be in good standing at the last college or university attended
- Have completed at least 30 transferable semester (45 quarter) units of college coursework with a grade of C or better in each of the following courses, at a level at least equivalent to courses that meet the following General Education requirements at Sofia:
- Oral Communication (usually 3 semester units): a public speaking course (A-1 at California community colleges)
- Written Communication (usually 3 semester units): a freshman English composition course (A-2 at California community colleges)
- Critical Thinking – (usually 3 semester units): a logic or argumentation /debate course (A-3 at California community colleges)
- Math / Quantitative Reasoning – (usually 3 semester units): a math course with intermediate algebra as a prerequisite (B-4 at California community colleges). The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements in English communication and mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning are also accepted.
- Physical Education - Maximum of nine quarter units of Physical Education will be accepted as transfer units.
Requirements for Sophomores:
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED
- Have completed, or be in the process of completing, a minimum 45-units of college courses. A grade of C or higher is required for each course. The courses must be taken in the subject areas of:
- Mathematics: algebra, geometry or intermediate algebra
- History or Social Science
- Laboratory Science
- Language other than English
- Visual Performing Arts
- Elective Courses: additional classes selected from the above subjects
Non-transferable Units or Credits
- Continuing Education Courses
- Vocational courses
- Non-credit workshops.
Are You an International Student?
Sofia University will also accept international students who wish to transfer upon successful evaluation of all previous undergraduate transcripts by World Education Services (WES), and a TOEFL score of at least 80 (out of 120).
What if I don’t have the credits necessary to transfer?
Sofia University grants unit credit to those students who pass the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations in certain subjects that have been approved for credit. Students may transfer in up to 45 quarter units of CLEP earned credits as described below.
For information about taking CLEP exams see https://clep.collegeboard.org/overview/collegecredit.
The BA in Psychology
Our degree in psychology is transpersonal in orientation, and transformative in nature. Transpersonal psychology is a full-spectrum psychology that studies a continuum of human experience and behavior ranging from severe dysfunction, mental and emotional illness at one end, to what is generally considered “normal”, healthy behavior at the other end and various degrees of normal and maladjustment in between – and then goes beyond that by adding a serious interest in the imminent and transcendent dimensions of human experience: exceptional human functioning, experiences, performances and achievements, true genius, the nature and meaning of deep religious and mystical experiences, non-ordinary states of consciousness, and how we might foster the fulfillment of our highest potentials as human beings.
Transpersonal psychologists work across disciplines and draw on insights from not only the various areas of psychology, but also the sciences of cognition, consciousness, and the paranormal; philosophy; social and cultural theory; integral health theories and practices; poetry, literature, and the arts; and, the world’s spiritual and wisdom traditions.
What Can You Do with a Degree in Psychology?
An undergraduate education in psychology is learning about psychology, rather than learning how to do psychology. It’s important to realize that with a Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, you are not yet qualified to be a psychologist when you finish your undergraduate study. At Sofia, most of our graduates have been accepted to Psychology graduate programs. They’ve reported that the BAC program prepared them extremely well for graduate work, and that they’re succeeding in their graduate programs.
Not interested in graduate school? No problem.The majority of students who earn a BA in Psychology find satisfying careers without attending graduate school. With a BA in Psychology you could work immediately in fields such as:
- Case management in social services/community based service
- Family counseling
- Human resources/ employment counseling
- Public relations
“This is an amazing program which offers students the stepping stones that propels us into worlds we may never have thought of entering. I am grateful for my professors and all they had to offer. The BAC program and the knowledge I gained from it resulted in me creating, Adi Shaktee, as an oasis for healing and a platform which I intend using for my women’s movement. This program also gave birth to my first literary project. I just published my first book of poetry called, AWAKENING.”
Devi Prem also found success after completing her degree. Devi is the founder of Dolphin Movement, dedicated to the transformation and evolution of self. Her favorite expression is through dance in all its forms and she truly enjoys guiding others on their path and transformation into their essence and embodied leadership.
“I am most grateful to the quality and flexibility that the Sofia programs are offering. For my BA completion I have received the most wonderful support to create my own body of work “Seven Sacred Rhythms of Leadership“, a dance meditation coaching offering. I will be continuing with the Global MA in Transpersonal Psychology program, which is truly a choice of my heart.”
Just the Basics (Financial Aid Eligible)
- Years to Complete: 2-3 years
- Quarters per Year: Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer (4)
- Units Needed to Complete : 180 units
- Units Required per Quarter for Block Tuition: 12 units
- Per Unit Cost: $475
- Per Quarter Cost Block Tuition: $5,340
- Cost per Year (Full Time/Block Tuition) : $21,360
Interested in Applying?
Contact: email@example.com or 650-493-4430