Our PsyD program provides a distinctive touch that is offered nowhere else. Our curriculum extends the reach of traditional clinical psychology programs and their narrow focus on fixing problems to help clients access their strengths and find connection with something larger than themselves
The Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) in Clinical Psychology degree program at Sofia University provides formal training in the science and practice of clinical psychology as well as focusing on the human element of “what’s right about you.” Whole person education offers training in the theory and treatment inspired by positive psychology and both secular and spiritual concepts and interventions. Mindfulness, as a source of both clinician self-care and treatment interventions, is a core component of the curriculum.
- Traditional clinical psychology
- Interpersonal neurobiology, neuroplasticity and neuropersonal biology
- Transpersonal, Depth, and Spiritual Psychology
- East/West traditions
- Creative expression
- Positive Psychology
- Compassion, gratitude, and forgiveness
- Training in emotional regulation to improve clinical performance that includes meditation
The Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology program includes the following
- An accomplished faculty actively involved in clinical research and practice, with an emphasis on spiritual and positive psychology applications
- A cohort-based community of learners
- Two years of clinical practicum and one year (1,500 hours) of supervised internship experience
- Research and dissertation focused on a clinical psychology topic relevant to the student’s interests and related to the domains of mindfulness, spirituality or positive psychology
A Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited University. Students without a background in Psychology or related field may be required to take some prerequisite psychology classes.
What Can You do with Your Clinical Degree?
After degree completion, you will be prepared for a career as a licensed clinical psychologist, which may include supervisory and program development positions in healthcare settings, substance abuse and mental health treatment settings, corrections agencies, private practice, teaching, and/or research. Just take a look at Dr. Meghan Fraley who is clinical director of the Sofia Counseling Center, now a unit of the Counseling Center for Health and Wellness (CCHW) and Dr. Mark Forman, author and clinical psychologist.
Alumna Meghan Fraley graduated with a Doctor of Philosophy (Psy.D.) in Clinical Psychology from Sofia University/ITP. She is now a licensed psychologist in California and works at the Sofia Counseling Center. She is also actively engaged in grassroots organizing work addressing economic and social justice issues with the Raise the Wage South Bay & Peninsula Coalition, Politically Inspired Action, and the ACLU of Northern California
“Overall, my passion is to help people feel more connected to themselves and the people and world around them. My approach to therapy is warm, compassionate, and empowering. I support individuals in overcoming the obstacles that prevent them from living freely, authentically, and joyfully. My clinical specialties include: depression, anxiety, life transitions, spiritual/existential concerns, and women’s issues”.
Alumnus Mark Forman, Ph.D. is also a graduate of the Psy.D. program at Sofia and is now a licensed clinical psychologist with fifteen years experience working with individuals, couples, teens, and families. Mark has found success as the Clinical Director of Life Design Centre and Lead Trainer of the Certified Integral Psychotherapist (CIT) Training Program. He is currently on staff as an adjunct faculty teaching a course in Integral Theory based on his book A Guide to Integral Psychotherapy: Complexity, Integration, and Spirituality in Practice.
JUST THE BASICS
- 3 quarter system runs from Fall – Spring.
- 9- 16 units per quarter
- 120 units to graduate
- $9,849 per quarter / $29,547 per year.
- There are 4 years of paid tuition.
- The fifth year is focused on your internship.
- Estimated total cost of tuition for the degree: $118,188.00
- Financial Aid available
Download the e-book Psukhe Breath Life Soul with articles written by our PsyD Faculty and Professor Emeritas.
For more information, contact Sofia University Admissions at (888)-98-SOFIA(76342) or firstname.lastname@example.org.